Bex’s Lazy Days Chicken Stew and Dumplings
“This stew is made by my wife Bex and is a real family favourite of ours." - Colin McGurran
“One of the great things about this dish is that you can use any meat, any vegetables and still get a great and hearty meal.”
1 chicken carcass, with some meat still on
A selection of your favourite seasonal vegetables
Baked potato or frozen dumplings
Extra chicken breasts
2 white onions
250ml white wine
2 tbsp Bisto gravy granules
1. Take your chicken carcass after a Sunday roast, place it into a pan of water and let it simmer away for 2 hours on a medium heat.
2. Chop up your seasonal vegetables into small chunks.
3. Sieve the chicken, keeping the water. Pull the meat from the bones and drop back into the water.
4. A few extra chicken breast fillets will get a bit more meat into the mix. Fry them off with some onions, add the wine, and fry until the alcohol has burned off. Then add the chicken broth water and all your vegetables.
5. Use the Bisto to thicken up the stew.
6. To add something a little extra, use either baked potatoes or even some frozen dumplings (if you have the time, you can make them from scratch).
7. Place this in the oven for 30 minutes on a high heat. When ready, serve hot.
This recipe is perfect for lunch the day after a roast, especially during the colder months.
3-course à la carte: £45.50pp
6-course surprise: £60pp
8-course surprise: £85pp